-->

Type something and hit enter

ads here
By On
advertise here
I ordered my parasols from Oriental Trading months ago, but I just now got around to starting to paint them.  I saw this inspiration picture on Project Wedding and knew I wanted to do one for myself.  I think it will make a great picture to put on the thank you cards.


These parasols run about $50 if you get someone to do them for you, so I figured I could DIY it for much cheaper.  It was definitely a hard process and I don't really recommend it.  But, if you're more patient than me, it might be the project for you.

What You Need:
- A parasol
- Microsoft Publisher
- 80 lb. or heavier white cardstock
- Exacto knife
- Tape
- Pencil
- Sharpie

1. Open up a 20x20 banner in Microsoft Publisher.  Type "Thank You" in Edwardian font, size 600.  You may need to move your text around some to make it fit.

2. Print out your banner.  It will print on multiple pieces of paper.

3. Carefully cut out your letters with an exacto knife and tape them together.  Try to be as exact as possible because this is going to be your stencil.

4. Lightly tape your stencil to the top of your parasol.


5. Trace around your stencil with a pencil.  This is the hard part because of the curve of the parasol.

 
6. Trace over your pencil lines with a black sharpie and then fill in the letters.  I would do this over the period of a day because doing it all at once will make your dizzy from the smell of the marker.


7. Leave your parasol open to dry for about a day so that you don't smudge the ink.


I still need to make some touch-ups to mine because my sharpie started dying, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Total Cost: $2.50!!!  The only thing I had to buy was the parasol.  I had everything else already in my house.  Even if you don't have all the items, it should still be less than $10 because sharpies and exacto knives are pretty cheap.

PS. I will be selling my parasol after my wedding if anyone is interested.